Friday, August 16, 2024

Voting for Loathsome People



Josh Cohen


Donald Trump

“Donald Trump is a loathsome individual whose political values are fundamentally anti-democratic.” So said one Josh Cohen, a seasoned political philosopher and Prof Emeritus at Stanford. He was reasoned and thoughtful and serious, in civil discussion with one Glenn Loury, a man who, likewise reasoned and etc., defends Mr. Trump.

I found myself befuddled at Cohen's remarks, though I have heard similar before.

"Loathsome?"

All of this is weary territory and one wonders if minds ever change. Brilliant people make their cases for one candidate or the other, and the rest of us look on. Are there any guiding marks? How can it be that a man loathsome to so many is admired and loved by so many others?

"Loathsome?"

One of my best teachers once spoke of five mysteries of life: birth, death, marriage. Yes, that's only three. Try as I might, I can't remember number four but the last always challenged my imagination. The fifth mystery, Dr. Ury said, is condemnation.

Condemnation. I always took this to mean the idea of no more hope, consigned to the pit, crossing a line beyond which there is no return. None.

Condemnation doesn't happen without judging and judging happens all the time. One could say it is the lingua franca of human relationships. We cannot relate to ourselves or others without constant judgment: "Is my hair ok?" "Should I buy this?" "Which street does he live on?" "How dare you!" and on and on and on.

I'm always bemused at the cul de sac of judgment. We take a turn in conversation and miss the "dead end" sign. Something like this:

"You are a loathsome creature."
"Who are you to say, you judgmental creep?!"
"Oh, yeah -- so who's judging now? Judge not!"
"You started it!"

This is playground stuff but it never leaves us. And we always take the dictum "judge not" and leave off the second part, "that ye be not judged." Yes it is from the Gospels and it is Jesus getting right in the middle of our lingua franca. Any one who thinks Jesus was just nice isn't reading for comprehension. Jesus was brilliant. He understood life as it really is.

Why shouldn't we judge? Because when we judge the same judging will come back in our teeth. Always. It's the constant whataboutism: “I said, he said, she said.” Indignation shouts "WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE?!" all the while missing the fact that in judging the person for judging we ourselves become judges.

Is there a way out? Who am I to say? That was a joke.

But perhaps it makes the point Jesus made, showing us how to leave the cul de sac of constant judgment. Jesus said the way to avoid all the "you too!" of judging is to judge ourselves. It is the famous "get rid of the log in your eye and then maybe you can see clearly to help your friend with the speck clouding his vision."

So where does this leave us with our friend Mr. Cohen? Do we judge him for judging? Or do we just listen and try to consider what he means? Self-judgment would mean, at minimum, we refuse to be defensive. Truth can handle itself. It is for us to try to see clearly, and honor it when we are able to see.

Should we ever call a person loathsome? Do people ever act in loathsome ways? How does one wrap this up? I wish I knew.

But if I were to try it would be something like this. I take Mr. Cohen to be serious, engaging in real world judgments. When he calls a person loathsome he knows he himself is in the mix, that he himself has not always been the lily of the valley. But he still has to be clear-headed and try to see things as they really are. And he thinks this presidential candidate is loathsome.

I find it provocative at minimum because, well, it is an ugly thing to say of another person. I can see why he would say it. He is judging, and it comes very close to condemnation. Ugly.

“Ugly is as ugly does” and we have to call it like we see it, or at least try to see the truth. Mr. Cohen sees it that way and I try to understand. I remember it means roughly half of the electorate is willing to vote for a loathsome creature and I am left thinking maybe, just maybe that should give us pause. It should cause those voters to fear and ask, “Is Mr. Trump really loathsome?” And it should give Mr. Cohen related fears in turn: “Why would so many fellow-Americans vote for a loathsome creature? Does that make them also loathsome? Who am I to make such a charge?”

In the end we have to make a judgment and cast our vote. But it should be the most humble thing we ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment