Thursday, August 30, 2018

Ministry Remnants: the Value of Journaling

In last night's prayer meeting a friend and long-time parishioner spoke of using his journal in devotions: "It's kind of new for me but I really like it." He spoke of writing down his prayers and I could tell this was something that just flowed from his heart.

"One morning", he said, "I realized I was writing a love letter to God." At that point he began to weep as he reveled in the goodness of God.

Do you journal? Even non-writers should do it. Maybe especially non-writers should do it. And we follow a long line of distinguished people. Indeed, many say keeping a journal is key to ordering one's life and living meaningfully and thoughtfully.

I would suggest that one of our best examples of journal-writing is King David. The Psalms are clearly in the genre of something like a personal journal, David often telling us of the journey of his heart. Certainly there are many love letters to God in the Psalms.

As my friend shared the new joy of the journal I was thrilled. He is up in years a bit, learning, growing, strengthening. His journal is deepening his life with God.

How is your life with God? Write your thoughts and prayers in a journal. It really helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment