Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Shoelaces and Shoes [10'TU]

"You should be able to write a column about a shoelace if necessary." So said the editor, never explaining why it would ever be necessary to write about such a thing. Of course the point is, I think, that in the publishing world copy is the name of the game and if you don't write you are out of the game.

Of course a shoe lace could be used for all kinds of on-ramps for writing. The first shoelace I encountered is lost in my memory except for foggy recollection of learning how to tie. The shoes that go with the laces, however, come to mind much easier.

I was always hard on shoes, who knows why. Probably because I was very active and cared very little for my clothing as long as it functioned. Shoes were expensive. I remember buying a pair of canvas Nikes in 1982 at a mall in Wichita for all of $20 and change. They were on sale -- probably regular price $26 or even $30. In those years I remember a friend who paid $99 for a pair of fancy sneakers. It seemed an impossible sum for shoes.

Both shoe stories deal with my dear Father but I'll only share one now, and it had to do with those Nikes. I was a very sensitive boy, not to be mistaken for well-behaved. When I bought those shoes I was no doubt wearing thin on the good graces of my Dad. I had money of my own but $20 was still alot and I had hindered things by general misbehavior and a large-sized contribution of annoyance.

Suffice it to say I was not contributing good vibes to the relationship with my Dad, though I loved him with all my heart. Teenage years can melt the brain and I was no exception.

When I bought the shoes we were at church camp, a place I dearly loved on Water Street in Wichita....

And I can't finish this in 10 so will have to come back to it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment