Monday, August 19, 2024

Good 35 Years

We stay the course set for us by happy abandon. It is not for constant joy or pleasantries, for what lasts forever in this world? Nothing.

But love.

Love alters not, says the Bard, in face of altering. Love is fixed forever.

Love refuses the so-called easy-out, the grievance ditch, the what if? -how come? -I just can't take it anymore! A thousand easy excuses find no ear with love.

Hope sings, faith anchors, love is forever. Love makes possible a home, a happy home, a family story: joy, forgiveness, happiness.

On this anniversary day I give thanks for the love God gives to me in Jane.

An explanation of sorts seems only right, realizing very few will ever read this. I wrote the above not in a dour mood about our anniversary, though neither Jane or I did over-much to celebrate the milestone as it deserves. Rather, I wrote it on reflection of a childhood friend whose marriage was failing and news of such had just crossed my path. I had seen a picture of him in the loss of youth, somewhat disheveled, less-than-pleasant to look at but very human. I had learned of his marriage failing -- do not remember how I heard -- and I wondered at the cause. Weariness, neglect, disgust, boundary loss.... I do not know but as I saw his picture I realized how naturally any of us can let go of our love and commitment when we see failing humanity. If we are not careful, a version of "I didn't sign up for this" sneaks into our heart. This gave birth to my, less than romantic but no less real for that, expression: "we stay the course." 

What else does love do? Much, but nothing more important. Or so seems to me.

Grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment