Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Truth and Faith and Reason [10'TU]

What is the premise of this discussion?

What do you mean? I just want the truth.

OK, but if I am unable to see the truth what will that mean for our relationship?

Don't you want to see the truth? 

I think I do.

What do you mean think? You should want to see the truth no matter what!

I'm not sure I have that much confidence in my character. I want to be that way.

What keeps you from it?

My beliefs about reality.

You mean your faith, like where you go to church or some doctrine or something?

No, just what I believe. Like 2 plus 2 is four, that people matter more than things, that murder is wrong. My beliefs about reality shape how I approach everything and so you could claim something as true and I would not automatically accept it if it contradicted my beliefs.

OK. I think I see. Let's try this truth on for size then. "Trump is a racist."

Why do you think that?

Because it is true.

If I say Trump is not racist, would you accept it as true?

Of course not.

Why?

Because I know the truth.

Why would you say you know?

Because it is what I believe comports with reality.

"Believe." Is this a church faith or something?

You know, I'm done with this conversation. You just won't listen to reason.

If that's what you believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment