Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Words on Words [10minutetuesday]

 

This ten minute writing run is interesting and difficult, testing the question whether anything meaningful can be said in 10 minutes. Of course the layers are more. How meaningful, and why even do it – are there not enough words in the blogosphere already? Yes, good questions and goes to much on my mind of late. The late Charles Munger is supposed to have said, “Everyone has a book in them, and for most of them that's exactly where it should stay.” I wonder if that is true. It really is the question" "Why speak, why write?" 

Some great thinker, Francis Bacon I think, said something about writing helping us to be more exact in our thinking. Surely that is true. And there is the matter of reading, a fairly modern matter in terms of scale. A great many people love to read. In fact it is a kind of drug of comfort, knowledge, the love of the story. We condition ourselves to love the printed word and the way it conveys the story, and then there is a demand for more and more books and the other myriad types of publishing.

On this matter of conditioning to read, I find I can read the most average of material and stay with it for the habit and, most of the time, because I want to get to the end. Often this is not because the writing engenders thrill, but simply because I am conditioned to read. Much as if it is like a low-level drug to which I am habitually tied.

Stepping back, I wonder if writing is not the most benefit to the writer. No doubt this is an individual question. Yet, generally it may be true that the working things out, the giving expression, the attempt to create in a way that elicits interest and help for the reader....perhaps it is true all of these draw the writer in and feed his soul.

For me, I do not know why I write except for the joy of morselling ideas and trying to work with them. That's my 10! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment