Saturday, January 13, 2024

On Splitting our World

One of my Seminary teachers, Dr. Bill Ury, once told of a graduate prof who thundered about Ockham splitting the world of thought, marking a point after which the ontological framework of Aquinas gave way to an intrusion of nominalism in all things. Essentially, the world is what we say it is, not what it is. The word is the referent, not reality.

This plays out when we talk about the Eucharist -- whether in any sense at all the presence of Christ is really there, or if it is only symbol and memory. Same with baptism or marriage -- is there a reality to which the words refer or does everything devolve to the words themselves, failing to suggest there is anything real? This goes to meaning, and meaning becomes what we say it is. Today we reap the bitter fruit.

I enjoy attempts at poetry and this is my effort to give voice to the problem in verse. I share it with appreciation for my teacher who planted seeds of truth that continue to bear fruit for heart, mind, and soul.


On Splitting Our World

One wonders what thoughts are worth thinking, if asking such even makes sense; 
If words ever marry in linking, ideas with syntax and tense;
 
If sentence faux-sentient or run-on, can ever describe all the world;
Its bellows make tepid the cauldron, of mind all contentious and surl.

One wonders if words must have meaning, or if 'tis reality speaks;
In syllable tones that are seeming, to give us the power we seek;

And then one man Ockham bequested, a world that is split right in two;
Between those who know they are bested, and those who will make their words do.

I think there is One who is more than, my thoughts and my words and my kin;
Mere shadows are those that on balance, will leave my soul shattered and thin.

Yes, this the "I am" known by Moses, is more than we ever will be; 
And yet as the Manger proposes, gives more than we ever could dream.

In owning the world by His coming, He echoed Creation aloud;
Expressed most benevolent cunning, and made the Word more than a sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment