Saturday, January 20, 2024

Kneeling

Kneeling

I wonder how the modern soul makes do without kneeling. The spirit and body instruct one another. The spirit needs to bow and the body needs to be still, acknowledge obeisance, origin, greater-than. Both do the same and kneeling is the expression.

I remember seeing my father kneel. He was off work for the day, staying at home while Mom took all of us to school. We stopped at the street so I could run back in the house to get a forgotten something. Bursting through the front door I saw my Dad kneeling there at the living room chair. He was praying.

How else does one pray? Any posture will do, to be sure. The soldier, tradesman or homemaker often prays throughout their day, kneeling or not. But kneeling gives the best expression, teaches the body and soul who is Master.

Kneeling helps us remember we are lesser than, and that is the hardest lesson. Kneeling also helps us remember someday we will go lower, lie down and be done, return to our Maker.

Kneeling now helps us be ready for then.

No comments:

Post a Comment