Saturday, June 29, 2024

Sabbath Again

I wonder about the Sabbath. 

We always had Sunday rules as a boy and I never thought they were onerous or unreasonable. We chafed, of course, at the Sunday nap but somehow I never remember bucking the idea of taking a break on Sunday. Maybe my memory is poor.

For some reason(s) the American church no longer observes the Sabbath in what we might call traditional ways. I leave the "seventh day" discussion aside without meaning to disrespect the remarkable work of SDA around the world. I am fine with designating Sunday -- Resurrection Day -- as Sabbath, and love to remember that the most obscure "blue law" (a law forbidding various Sunday practices) is silent testimony to the reality of the Resurrection.

Be that as it may, Sabbath is a gift and I love gifts. But this one is hard to observe because it kicks us right out of the driver's seat. It requires us to ask, per Dr. John Oswalt, "Who meets my needs?" 

If we answer that question wrongly, we neglect the Sabbath. If we answer it correctly, we learn to rest. For the very word Sabbath means "break." As in, "Stop the norm of activities. Let the body, mind and spirit rest. Quit the everyday stuff of life. Quit!"

Again, why do we neglect this gift? Because we are sure if we do not take care of our needs, no one else will. 

To the contrary, God says, "I made you. Your every breath depends on me. Without me you couldn't take care of yourself at all. Let Sabbath remind you of this."

Rules about buying and selling, rest instead of work, refusing gainful employment except for necessities and mercy -- these matter because they help us do something we need but are loathe to do.

Sabbath -- the rejected gift. 

"Help me, Lord, to receive and observe with gladness and gratitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment