Thursday, February 1, 2024

More


Poetry more than a poem,
Artistry more than a form;
Senses that make good sense sane,
This is my wife, Lana Jane.

In celebrating my wife's birthday I remembered a Methodist minister who, as a soon-to-be groom, met the Matriarch Grandmother for the first time at a family gathering. A staunch lifetime Baptist, the grandmother greeted the young man thus: "I always prayed my granddaughter would marry a minister, but I never dreamed he would be a Methodist!"

In perfect time the young man replied, "That just goes to show God always gives us more than we ask for!" The lovely lady nearly fell over laughing and the family bonds were sealed!

More. 

God is more and gives more. It is we who are stingy, grasping, wary to give freely for fear we won't have enough.

When God gave me Jane I often wondered what the attending angels had to say. "They were no doubt distressed," I think with a smile. I laugh to see the very real mix of love and tension between the sexes; the man who can't seem to quit all his beastly ways and the woman who dares to believe he will, yet not all. 

God gave me more than I knew to ask for. And he gave me more than I knew how to receive. And in it all is the gift that keeps on giving. 

There is so much here, a long treatise. If the beauty of Helen could launch a thousand ships, the wonder of knowing Jane could launch a thousand words, times 1,000. And this is no over-speak, for the beauty of creation revealed within marriage is more than we will ever fully comprehend.

God gave me more when He gave me Jane and the joy of knowing that is the becoming of a glimmer of all God had in mind when He made the world.

God always gives more.

Happy Birthday, Jane! 

No comments:

Post a Comment