Tuesday, February 27, 2024

"Don't refer to yourself!" The Psalmist ignored the memo. Should we? [10"Tu]

I have loved inductive Bible study since it was ingrained in me via so many assignments in Seminary. And then I had the privilege of trying to teach it. It starts – and ends, one could say – with observation. As Dr. Oswalt used to say, "You can't really know what is there until you know what is there." Huh?! It is true. We readily jump to conclusions without due observation, which I am likely going to do in a moment.

I only have 10 minutes – less now. But I want to look at my Psalm for today, 116. What rises to the surface?

  • Lots of first person. About 35 1st person pronouns (2-3 are understood). This is over 10 percent of the words. So much for avoiding reference to oneself!

Well, time's a wasting as it often was as I punched out assignments before class. So I will take this one observation of continuing use of 1st person.

  • It is repeated. 

  • It is pointed toward God: “Truly I am Thy servant.”

  • It plainly reveals the self: “I said in my haste.”

  • It makes promises: “I will pay my vows.”

The person is involved in relationship. I think we knew this. There is an “I”, a “me.” When we approach God it is ok to be personal. Very personal.

Perhaps keep it to oneself? David didn't. I'm gonna try to follow his example.


No comments:

Post a Comment