Monday, February 12, 2024

Faith over Fear

When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: 
this I know; for God is for me. (Psalm 56:9 )

This verse exhibits such confidence. “This I know, for God is for me.”

Does the statement make it true? Is faith the agent that makes real? What evidence does he have for the claim?

This last question gets us on track. David makes these claims based on his experience with God. He has seen God deliver Him and He has learned God is faithful and good. He has seen God respond to his cry for help, and he has seen that God is supportive of his efforts. That is why he makes the claim. It is not mere hope that God will come through. Rather, it is recognition God has come through before and will do so again.

Yet, there is still the unknown. It is certainly possible God will not intervene the way David claims, or in the same time frame. Yet, David is confident. This confidence gives basis for action. Further, it lays an expectation on God. Does God respond to this kind of thing?

There is evidence He does, but I think the lesson is more basic. David dares to declare that God is with Him and he acts accordingly. If it winds up being presumption he is willing to take the fall. But he acts with confidence.

This confidence gave him basis for action. And it rested on faith in God. Faith is present in any action where certainty is not at play. Which is almost anything we do.

What I believe about God and how I am willing to act in light of His character enables a level of healthy confidence, and gives basis for faith over fear. And this is the way God wants us to live.

Fear not! I am with thee. Be not dismayed, I am thy God!”


No comments:

Post a Comment