Saturday, May 25, 2024

Overthinkers Not-So-Anonymous

There's a social media group called "Table of Misfits" and I suppose something like "Overthinkers Not-So-Anonymous" would be in the same broad category of human proclivities. The very name carries the intrinsic acknowledgement of irony, a constant shadowy presence for all over-thinkers. Countless things are said to allow for too many shades of nuance until the over-thinker would be exhausted if sufficiently self-aware, and the listeners are faking it like pros, which skill, if the listener is well known to said over-thinker, they have perfected to a pure art of friendliness. Whole books could be written while listening to various adjustments, explanations, considerations, rabbit holes to consider intent of various ideas, basis for the ideas behind the ideas behind the ideas and so on. I exaggerate a bit.

One could argue this is a sheer matter of analytical bent and not learning how to draw boundaries. One would be right, it seems. Analysis is important but so easily eats itself, or tries. As Muggeridge says so well somewhere, "Accuracy can be the enemy of meaning." The overthinker pounces of course, missing the point: "We can have both, can't we? Do you wish for IN-accuracy?! What good is meaning if founded on a lie?!!" And on and on. Whether spoken or not it reverberates in the head. 

Perhaps an example will help for those who are peaceable and yet have the remarkable ability to care and engage with an overthinking person. I read Psalm 116:1 this morning: 

I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications.

Allow me to give you an overthinker's version:

  • Do I really love the Lord? (I do try.)
  • You mean it is ok to have a cause for loving God? What is this, a quid pro quo; God does something for me and then-and-only-then will I love Him? That violates all norms of free will and loving relationship. What is David thinking? This IS Scripture isn't it? I guess it is OK to love for reasons, as a response to the amazing love of God. [Grace sneaks in the back door.]
And grace, always grace, delivers. Of course over-thinking comes along and steps in, and grace redeems it. What is grace you ask? [Overthinking is already there.] Grace is the goodness of God expressed in redeeming the life of all who look to Him for help and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. Grace is a gift of enabling, helping us see a better path, revealing the very reality of God to us in what is very often the direct ministry of the Holy Spirit to our heart and mind. 

Overthinking is normal mental faculties over done. Overthinkers need all that is involved when Paul says to "take all thoughts captive." Submit all of life -- this includes the mind -- to Christ. He is good, He knows what we need and if we let go the reins, "lean NOT on our own understanding," we will find a miracle is at play everyday. The grace of Christ helps us learn to keep the monster of overthinking at bay and to learn the joy beyond knowing of this lyric: "Like a river glorious is God's perfect peace; over all victorious in its bright increase."

I love the Lord and am able to do so because He first loved me, showed me the way in, and walks with me daily. This brings gladness to my heart and puts overthinking in its place.

Alleluia!


No comments:

Post a Comment