Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Dealing with Life as it is [100WW]

[I've long wondered about the role of motives in life: how easily we assume them, how painful presumed motives can be, how easily we are wrong about our own motives and those of others, yet can scarcely be dissuaded in our opinions. It is a minefield of pain and difficulty. I thought I'd try to address it week by week with a few of these 100 Word Wednesdays. It is all fictionalized, drawing from life as I've seen it, experienced it, and thought about it.]

“Why didn't you let me play baseball?” Father and son were in my office. The son, age 30, was trying to heal a divide with his Dad. “Didn't you want me to succeed? Didn't you want me to have fun?” The son continued with questions that put his dad in a corner of assumed bad motives. It was, to say the least, painful. Parents do what they do for all kinds of reasons, and they don't always get it right. The son's face was more pain than anger, but both were at play. I wondered how this would go.



No comments:

Post a Comment