Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Dot Lake [10'Tu]

Ten minute Tuesday finds me writing about Alaska. In particular Dot Lake, Alaska. Specifically, what is know as the “Children's Home” property in said village. This so-called 'children's home' was actually a home for troubled youth. It served that purpose in two iterations, I believe, the one I am closest to being that which ended about 1994.

Since then this home and property have been a destination for youth camp and occasional other events for a church fellowship based in North Pole. We refer to the property simply as “Dot Lake” and 10 pages would not be enough to tell you why we love it so. You would have to visit.

There is just something special about the place. Yes it is in the middle of nowhere, though by Alaska interior standards it is almost downtown. One can find a small city within an hour either direction. Most hardware, groceries, equipment rental, restaurants and etc. are no more than 62 miles away on good roads. Yes, good roads.

What makes it special? I do not know. I believe in God and goodness and grace. And so I imagine the care good people have given across the years somehow shapes a place. And I believe God has a “presence” that is more evident in some places and around some people than not.

That seems true of the Dot Lake property of which I speak – God is there. Of course such a claim is true if it is (true) and not so much if it is not (true). The only way to know such a thing is to pray for awareness, dare to believe, and come and see.

I may write about Dot Lake more, we'll see. Today I visited Dot Lake with a friend, in the Alaskan “bleak mid-winter.” And I knew again that just like ancient Bethlehem, when God sees fit to bless a place all who are there can be blessed.

Alleluia!



No comments:

Post a Comment