Saturday, March 2, 2024

A Musing for Saturday

If one would write without a breath to speak of and ignoring the protocol that forbids what we call run-on sentences he would soon learn of sentences akin to those called Pauline and also akin to long words beginning with "super-," for there is discussion afoot about the need for clarity in writing and it helps if one is actually saying something worthwhile and there are others who rightly warn of careless speech or words that harm or simply stuff more nonsense in the soul.

So now I catch my breath and wonder what I said.

This writing journey has been good. I am beginning better to know that volume is important, as is sheer hard work. Consistency helps, and the daily blogging has been good to that end.

In the mean I have been doing a fair amount of poetry on personal matters and finding volume is good there, too. Every time I unearth a poem I gain a bit of facility. A class would be good to examine all that is involved in meter. I find I have some innate ability to feel the rhythm of a written line. If I am seeking the same meter and accents in the next line, I sort of naturally do so. So that helps, though I am seeing there is no end to developing as a poet and I am in early stages.

For now I will share this muse of free verse on my dear friend Jamey, about whom I posted Friday. I am going to keep trying my hand at this, with love for Jamey and his family. He was indeed a wonderful man.


I stand among God's choicest people,
a man who as a child was with great men
who were becoming what they were:
the great I Am within brings forth.

Jamey was one, a man among men,
and known by all as such.
He has left us, needing not to think of 
work undone or loves unloved, 
yet dreaming of the more he longed
to do, to give, to love.

We'll not continue in his way, 
for none feel we can, not being him.
But we will remember and love and give and be,
hoping to be as good.




No comments:

Post a Comment