Monday, July 8, 2024

More of David's Reasoned Pleas

 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. 
(Psalm 31:1)

David pleads like this over and over. Maybe 40 times in the Psalms depending how you paraphrase the thought. Maybe one hundred. He is always saying, "I am counting on you, Lord. Do not let me down."

One question always rises, hard to explain. Something like this: 

    Which is it?    
    • I am trusting you, Lord. In light of that don't let me down. OR
    • I am trusting you, Lord. I am relying on you, I am crying out to you, I need you. If I do not have your help I will be ashamed. I need your deliverance.
The first is a causal reasoning: "Because I am relying on you, be sure to prove good on the trust." It isn't exactly "you owe me" but it could feel like that.

The second is more of a continued plea, with each word giving it shape.

The balance of the Psalm is a wonder of reasoned pleading while keeping one's place. Reminds me how Job pled with God while keeping his place, always with respect, never insisting but making his case. Then God spoke.

I weary of overthinking these things, but I cannot avoid the question. Which is it?

I fear the reasoned part, the hint of insisting God act a certain way: "Because I am acting this way, therefore...." It does not seem right to do that with God. Yet, yesterday's reading has David declaring his own integrity as a basis for God's response.

There are always larger principles that order the smaller questions. I would see the principles laying out like this:
    • The reality of God is primary to all and His character is implied in that primacy.
    • Any expectation we have of God must be grounded in His character, not our need.
    • It is normal for any child to express need to his Father. It is normal for the Father to hear, be interested, and meet that need if doing so in this particular is in keeping with His character.
    • If we did not have reason to think God would give attention to our need we would not be speaking it to Him.
    • Therefore, it is reasonable to make a reasoned prayer which suggests, "Because this, therefore this. Please?"
I finish believing it is an example of the classic "both/and." And David gives it that healthy balance of fear and love. There is chutzpah in David that God seems to love and honor. There is healthy pleading which knows he is subject and God will do as He will. But according to His character.

It is to the character of God David appeals. And here I land this morning.

Because God is un-erringly good, because his mercy endures forever, because He has made a world of reliable cause-and-effect I can believe God will do me good no matter how things look at the moment. 

I should always pray with God's reliable character in mind.

I close with this echo of another Psalm in my mind, often expressed in song: "Let me not be ashamed; let not my enemy triumph over me!" (Psalm 25)

No comments:

Post a Comment