Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Ministry Remnants: On Being Wrong

Well, a title like that could lead to an endless rumination, for the extant of one's wrongness could fill the library of the ages. But this will not be endless.

Sunday evening, trying to serve dutifully, I commented on a song so well sang, and edifying. It was the wonderful truth "Our God Reigns" and it's opening line "How Lovely on the Mountains" gave reason to reflect and share, as is my often wont. The song mixed in my mind with another chorus titled "Our God is an Awesome God" -- confused perhaps because of similarities in theme and title. Well enough, but alas, I pronounced the author of "Our God Reigns" as one Rich Mullens. He, as it turns out, authored "Our God is an awesome God", not the former title upon which I was holding forth.

When my wife later kindly pointed out the error, obvious to all who cared to re-open their chorus books, I was embarrassed but could do nothing about it, so left be.

I remembered not to make too much of human frailties, not to take myself too seriously, to smile rather than chafe at these kinds of errors, and to learn to avoid chatter in the pulpit.

Of course, pastors are human, too, and congregations are long-suffering. But best not to try them overmuch lest they begin to wonder what else a preacher may say that is mistaken. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment