Monday, September 16, 2024

Distal Biceps Tendon Tear

Well, these biped bodies in which our souls are housed are so one-and-same with the person that when we say "I" we always mean body as much as soul or consciousness. Philosophers call this mind-body problem or some such and dabble in various forms of dualism or non-dualism to understand and explain. Though I had the joy of trying to teach such things, it was never suitably clear to me, try as I might to imbibe the text. 

I did learn along the way that the Hebrew approach, revealed in the language and narrative of the Old Testament, is real. Deeply real. Earthy. Fancy divides of body and soul do not become it. A person knows he is embodied and that's that.

I must stop typing for the distal biceps tear is real in my dominant (right) arm. It happened 60 hours ago and I am scheduled for an MRI soon, then possible surgery. From what I read, sooner the better for the surgery. This tendon controls, I'm told, about 45% of arm strength needed for any twisting of the forearm.

I feel uncomfortable with typing so will leave be on this, my Monday Meander. Further posts forthcoming, perhaps. I did not think I would be able to type for awhile. I feel the pain on the inside of my right elbow. ER ruled out bone break, and pain has subsided by 50% or so. There appears to be no distortion or bruising, so it is hard to know extent and nature. But torn tendon is all but certain. I have the normal frustration with limited movement. 

Steady. On.

A complete tear of the distal biceps tendon. The tendon has pulled away from where it attached at the radial tuberosity.

Modified from Bernstein J (ed): Musculoskeletal Medicine. © American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2003.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment