Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Ten Minutes on Integrity [10'TU]


Psalm 46:12 And as for me, you uphold me in mine integrity, and set me before thy face for ever.

Years ago it fell my lot to oversee a significant decision in a college student life setting. There was the right and reasonable decision that everyone knew was all but "forgone." And there was the idea we should vote and stick with the vote. As the titular leader I said we would go with the results of the vote, even though nearly everyone knew the decision could only go one way.

For normal reasons the vote went against the forgone decision and I was stuck. I had read that morning about integrity -- a verse like this, if not this very one. I even quoted it aloud as I tried to pick up the pieces among my peers. I don't remember who or how, but in the end the vote was set aside and we did what was surely the right thing even though I had to break my word. Mercifully, it is likely I was over-ruled by someone higher up, meaning they were breaking it for me. It was a painful lesson.

As I read about integrity this morning it seemed one of those brilliant expressions in Scripture where two difficulties conjoin as only God can do it. Is our integrity up to us, or is it up to God? The answer is, "Yes."

Ten minute Tuesday is over. Back to this next week. We'll see if I can keep my word! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment