Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Loving 100

“Loving ‘100′”

Nothing in the world quite like tucking a 6-year old into bed, as any parent will tell you. Tonight when I carried our Elliot to bed and laid him down…

…I could see a slight smile on his face. He had been sleeping on our bed upstairs and though he is a deep sleeper, he was slightly awake as I tucked him in. So I kissed him good night, said "I love you" and then engaged in one of my favorite little games.

I said, "Who do you love most, Mommy or Daddy?" From under the covers he reached out his hand with two fingers meaning "both of you". This is his common answer and I love to hear it. Next I added other loved ones and ask him which he loves most. "What about Lawrence? Grandma Glazebrook? Grandma Huff?" He started to add fingers but he was too tired so he just said, "A hundred."

You know I smiled as I stepped away, and then I wondered about this business of "loving a hundred", Elliot’s way of saying, "Why wouldn’t I just love everyone and love them the same?" And why not?

Do you "love ‘100′"? Do I? Everyone is thirsty for this kind of love. We know it when we see it. It is a love that receives others as valuable, meaningful, cared for — seeking their benefit as one’s own. When you and I experience this love we feel enfolded in something almost other-worldly. And so it is.

Of course we know there are special loves for family members and other close relationships. But this matter of loving all as worthy of our care and concern — that is a mouthful. That is "loving ‘100′".

Lord, I know Your love when I see it but too seldom do others see it in me.
Would you help me, please?
‘We only have what we give away.’ Is that true?
I so need to ‘have’ Your love — I can’t live without it.
So, please help me to give it away.
And in the response Your touch brings in others may I see and know
that You are helping me to
"love ‘100′".

6 Responses to ““Loving ‘100′””

  1. Jay Says:

    I love the way our children teach us about God. What a precious avenue for the lesson. Thanks for sharing this.

  2. Chris Says:

    That is something… Thanks!

  3. Mary Ellen Says:

    I over heard 5 year old Kaitlyn (a true lover of babies, she’s going to be a great Mommy someday) asking Michael who his favorite baby was as she named the baby girl Crockers hope to finally adopt on the 31st and another baby she just adores. She seemed so relieved when he told her, in all of his 8 year old wisdom, that she could love them both the same! I didn’t even have to say a word as he went on to explain how it was just like how they love Mommy and Daddy the same, etc. How much fun it is to hear things we’ve told him being repeated to her! A great post, very thought provoking.

  4. Doug Thompson Says:

    Beautiful!

  5. Randy Says:

    Thank you Jay, Chris, Mary and Doug. Always good to hear from you.

  6. Rebecca Hoard Says:

    I really enjoyed this post, Randy. Thank you so much. If you don’t mind, may I print it and put it in my devotional journal?

  7. Randy Says:

    Thanks, Rebecca, and of course you are welcome to print it and use it however. It sure was good to see you and the clan at Youth Challenge. Fine family you have there. Good to see Rob and Theresa also.
    Thanks again for the comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment